Resources for Nonprofit Management Solutions
Strategic Partners, Books, Poster…
to help accelerate your mission, along with Jerry Twombly’s Certified Development Professional (CDP) training and direct consulting.
Resources for Nonprofit Management Solutions
2020 CARES Act
The information provided below is not legal advice or a legal reading of the CARES Act. Please discuss these opportunities with your Board, legal counsel or other advisors before sharing with your financial partners.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act was passed by Congress with overwhelming, bipartisan support and signed into law by President Trump on March 27th, 2020. It includes charitable tax deductions for some that are only available this tax year (2020).
New Tax Deductions for 2020 Make it Easier to Give
Part of the 2020 CARES Act offers a new universal deduction for charitable contributions. The bill makes a new deduction available, without itemizing, of up to $300 per taxpayer ($600 for a married couple) in annual charitable contributions in 2020. For those who itemize in 2020 only, the CARES Act allows deductions of contributions up to 100% of their adjusted gross income. Corporations may increase giving to 25% of their taxable income.
Deductions for Charitable Contributions up to $300 made in 2020
- New deduction is for up to $300 per taxpayer ($600 for a married couple) in annual charitable contributions in 2020.
- This is for people who take the standard deduction when filing their taxes. (They do not itemize their deductions.)
- Contributions made by cash, check, credit card to a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization qualify. Property, clothing/goods, and stocks do not qualify. Contributions made since January 1, 2020 may be counted toward the $300 cap. (Donations to a donor-advised fund (DAF), and some other select funds/foundations do not qualify for the deduction.)
- Taxpayers will list it as an adjustment to income on Schedule 1 of Form 1040, and then deduct it from their gross income (along with any/all other adjustments to income) on the first page of their 1040.
No Annual Limit on 2020 Charitable Deduction by Itemizers
- For 2020 only, the CARES Act allows itemizers to deduct contributions up to 100% of their AGI. Thus, for example, if someone’s AGI is $100,000, they may deduct $100,000 in charitable contributions and wipe out their income tax liability entirely.
- Donors who use this provision must tell the IRS. Any contributions in excess of total AGI may be carried forward for up to five additional years
Usually giving is limited to 10% of taxable income for the corporation. That limit has been increased to 25% of the taxable income, making charitable gifts much more attractive to business donations.
THE RULES OF DEVELOPMENT
The 11 Rules of Development you never want to break! Well, ok…they’re more like guidelines. But if you act on them, you will raise more money and engage more people in your mission.
Order your complimentary copy of The Rules of Development Poster ($5 each Continental US Postage) Please email us if you are outside this zone.
Greg Long is the lead instructor for Jerry Twombly’s Certified Development Professional training program and CEO of The NonProfit Authority. He’s been teaching leadership principles for more than 35 years in a wide variety of church, education, and community environments.
Vision, Leadership, Motivation, Faith, Passionate Service to Others
Greg helps you discover your vision for making a positive difference in the world.
Using the Old Testament story of Nehemiah, this is the saga of Almighty God anointing an everyday person to step out and accomplish the miraculous. The dynamic principles of leadership found in Nehemiah’s story can be part of your story too through this modern-day, practical application.
Greg delivers an affable, inspiring, and extremely practical read that challenges us to reconsider what God wants accomplished and how to lead, so those Big Ideas become reality.
Decision-Making Tools for School Leaders
With SchoolRIGHT, you are partnering with data collection and analysis experts, guiding you from data to decision making. Having information is important. But having the right information and knowing what to do with it is what we are all about.
SchoolRIGHT serves Christian, Parochial, International and other independent schools. We help school leaders understand their unique culture through accurate and useful data.
Our primary services include:
- Pinpoint School Surveys
- Confidential Financial Analysis for Tuition Aid Verification